Friday, June 09, 2006

Final Thoughts on New Orleans



What did I learn on this trip?
I learned that nothing is guaranteed. The only thing that is guaranteed in this life is that we are born with nothing, and when we die we take nothing with us. So why not put my trust in Someone who is eternal?
I learned that in the midst of what should be total hopelessness, there can be hope. Where there is no one to help God sends his people to be his hands, to bring food, to be his heart where people have been abandoned.
I learned the pure joy of giving, without expecting a thing in return. And seeing how he provides surprises all along the way. I received so much from the people of New Orleans. I received love, I saw courage, I saw faith. And it was an example to me of how to appreciate life.
There's still so much that needs to be done. If you've been inspired and want to know how you can help, visit the Samaritan's Purse website. You'll find lots of information there on how to join a group that working in the area, or you can go as an individual. Their website will start you on your way. Our church is also planning another trip in October/November, if you're in the NYC area and are interested in joining us, email me at nancita_maria@yahoo.com (write KATRINA as the subject of your email) and I'll get you in touch with the team.
And if you want to know more about what gives my life joy, what gives me excitement and purpose every day of my life, click here.


Thanks for sharing this journey with me.
Peace and be blessed,
Nancy