Thursday, June 08, 2006

Working Together




This was our second day on the house. At this point we were stripping nails from the studs. All those little details had to get done so the house would pass inspection from the parish, which is their local government.

The last of the ceilings had to come down. The linoleum tiles were giving us a hard time. To me, that was the hardest thing to strip.

Honestly, I was really bad at it and I have great admiration and respect for the "young pups" who were able to put their full backs and attack them at just the right angle to rip them off the floor. It's hard work, but again, I'll keep saying, it's worth it. Whenever I feel like giving up I imagine if it were my home. Would I want the person working on it to give up? No way! At one point, when I felt I just couldn't lift that hammer one more time, I remembered that old Sunday School song "The joy of the Lord is my strength". I just started singing that and felt the energy start flooding back into my arms. Praise the Lord!
Raul, the owner, has been pitching in as well, even though we've been telling him to be careful cause of the mold in the air. But who can blame a person for wanting to lay their hands on their house, right?

We worked from 8am to 4pm and when we got back we ate dinner and had a time of spiritual refreshment.

I shared a message from the book of Exodus, chapter 17, when the Hebrews were fighting the Amalekites. When Moses held his staff up, they were winning, but when his arms got tired and he lowered them, the warriors started to lose. So his two helpers, Aaron and Hur, got a rock for him to sit on and they held his arms up. Until the battle was won. And that's how we were living here in New Orleans as we worked together. We held each other up. We had each other's backs. The goal is to get the job done. That scripture spoke to all of us.


Afterwards we had some time to relax before bed. Dominoes and board games were favorites.
Sleep was sweet that night.



I have a gift for my readers. A photo of a beautiful Louisiana evening. Feeling free to download it and use it for your desktop wallpaper. (It's not for sale or to be sold so be nice!)

God bless you!